Tampere University of Technology

TUTCRIS Research Portal

Effect of exercise on bone structural traits, physical performance and body composition in breast cancer patients - A 12-month RCT

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review


Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)127-135
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - Sep 2012
Publication typeA1 Journal article-refereed


In this 12-month RCT, we examined whether aerobic impact exercise training (3x/week) could facilitate breast cancer survivors' recovery by enhancing their bone structural strength, physical performance and body composition. After the adjuvant chemoand/or radiotherapy, 86 patients were randomly assigned into the training or control group. Structural bone traits were assessed with pQCT at the tibia and with DXA at the femoral neck. Agility (figure-8 running), jump force and power (force platform), grip strength and cardiovascular fitness (2-km walk test) were also assessed. Training effects on outcome variables were estimated by two-way factorial ANCOVA using the study group and menopausal status as fixed factors. Bone structural strength was better maintained among the trainees. At the femoral neck, there was a small but significant 2% training effect in the bone mass distribution (p=0.05). At the tibial diaphysis, slight 1% to 2% training effects (p=0.03) in total cross-sectional area and bone structural strength were observed (p=0.03) among the postmenopausal trainees. Also, 3% to 4% training effects were observed in the figure-8 running time (p=0.03) and grip strength (p=0.01). In conclusion, vigorous aerobic impact exercise training has potential to maintain bone structural strength and improve physical performance among breast cancer survivors.


  • Bone, Breast cancer, Exercise, Muscle, Rehabilitation